U.S. opens investigation into Tesla after fatal crash in Autopilot mode

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said on Thursday it is opening a preliminary investigation into 25,000 Tesla Motors Model S cars after a driver of one of the vehicles was killed using the Autopilot mode. The agency said the crash came in a 2015 Model S operating with automated driving systems engaged, and “calls for an examination of the design and performance of any driving aids in use at the time of the crash.” The investigation is the first step before the agency could seek to order a recall if it finds the vehicles were unsafe. NHTSA said in a statement the driver of the 2015 Model S was killed while operating in Autopilot mode in a crash on May 7 in Williston, Florida.

Original post: 
U.S. opens investigation into Tesla after fatal crash in Autopilot mode

Visa, MasterCard $7.25 billion settlement with retailers is thrown out

By Jonathan Stempel NEW YORK (Reuters) – A federal appeals court on Thursday threw out a $7.25 billion antitrust settlement reached by Visa Inc and MasterCard Inc with millions of retailers that accused the card networks of improperly fixing credit and debit card fees. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York said the accord was unfair to retailers that stood to receive no payments and, in the court's view, little or no benefit at all.

More: 
Visa, MasterCard $7.25 billion settlement with retailers is thrown out

Wall Street rallies for third day as Brexit bruises fade

In the wake of the referendum, Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said on Thursday that the central bank would probably need to pump more stimulus into Britain's economy over the summer. “We’re reversing the 'Brexit' as it becomes evident that it was more of a political vote and decision than an economic decision,” said Bucky Hellwig, senior vice president at BB&T Wealth Management in Birmingham, Alabama.

See the original post:
Wall Street rallies for third day as Brexit bruises fade

Hershey rejects $23 billion Mondelez takeover offer

Hershey Co said on Thursday it had rejected a $23 billion preliminary offer by Mondelez International Inc that would seek to expand the latter's limited U.S. footprint and create the world's largest confectioner. The snub underscores the challenges Mondelez faces in wooing Hershey's controlling shareholder, the Hershey Trust, a $12 billion charity created by the eponymous company's founder a century ago. Hershey shares traded above Mondelez's offer of $107 per share in cash and stock, indicating investors expected a new offer.

Continued here: 
Hershey rejects $23 billion Mondelez takeover offer

Global stocks gain as Brexit nerves settle

European and Asian stock markets built on a recovery from the shattering aftermath of last week's Brexit vote on Wednesday as investors wagered central banks would ultimately ride to the rescue with more stimulus. UK and European banks, a center of concern since Britain shocked global financial markets on Friday by voting to leave the European Union, were broadly higher, extending a recovery from two days of trading which knocked almost 40 percent off Barclays and RBS. Stock markets in Frankfurt, Paris and London all gained more than 1.5 percent in early deals while the pan-European index of major banks was up 3 percent.

Read the original post: 
Global stocks gain as Brexit nerves settle

North America leaders meet with trade threats, Brexit on their minds

By Roberta Rampton and David Ljunggren OTTAWA (Reuters) – The leaders of the United States, Canada and Mexico gather on Wednesday to stress the importance of trade at a time of mounting international doubts about the benefits of globalization. The three nations belong to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Tuesday vowed to renegotiate or even scrap if he wins power. Trump says free trade has been disastrous for American workers, costing countless thousands of jobs and depressing wages.

Go here to see the original: 
North America leaders meet with trade threats, Brexit on their minds

Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues

WASHINGTON/TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan's Toyota Motor Corp has recalled 3.37 million cars worldwide over possible defects involving airbags and emissions control units. The automaker on Wednesday said it was recalling 2.87 million cars over a possible fault in emissions control units. Toyota on Wednesday said evaporative fuel emissions control units in models produced from 2006 to 2015 including the Prius, Auris compact hatchback and its popular Corolla models were prone to cracks, which could expand over time and lead to fuel leaks.

View original here:
Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues

Sony upbeat on games and robots but cuts outlook for image sensors

Japan's Sony Corp on Wednesday lifted the sales target for its games division next year on hopes for its new virtual reality headset, and said it would re-enter robots a decade after it last abandoned the business. The announcement comes as company watchers bank on sensors to continue driving Sony's revival after years of struggle. While the sensor slowdown is likely to disappoint, investors can take comfort in the unchanged profit target, which highlights Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai is keeping to a recovery track and has not given up on new technologies such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality.

Read the original post: 
Sony upbeat on games and robots but cuts outlook for image sensors

Tesla investor group wants more independent board, cites Musk ties

An investor group called on Tesla Motors Corp on Tuesday to add two independent directors to its board and separate the roles of chairman and chief executive as it highlighted founder and CEO Elon Musk's dominance of the board in the wake of Tesla's proposed bid for SolarCity. Musk is also the chairman and largest shareholder of SolarCity Corp .

Read the original post:
Tesla investor group wants more independent board, cites Musk ties

U.S. Attorney General Lynch says probe into VW scandal ongoing

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said on Tuesday that a Department of Justice investigation into the Volkswagen emissions scandal was continuing, and that it was important to look at the individuals involved. A settlement with VW announced earlier on Tuesday provided important relief to U.S. consumers.

Read the original: 
U.S. Attorney General Lynch says probe into VW scandal ongoing